Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Voice Coach

This all starts with my friend. The past 4 years of my life, I've been developing these relationships with people.. very much like me. They are my classmates. Its weird when you find that at the highly specialized school that you go to, almost all of the people there are almost exactly like you. But, it's really cool, we share a lot with each other and hopefully for our lives to last! Anyways, one of them is getting Married. She's 27, and getting married to her college sweetheart. About a year ago, her(henceforth known as girl), another one of our classmate "noona" (yes, korean, girl, but... married) and I went to a Karaoke Place and sang our hearts out! It was pretty fun, i couldnt understand most of the songs sung but i found out that the noona was a pretty good singer. Kinda hard to tell when the mics are all made to make you sound good. So... the girl asked us if we would sing at her wedding when she got married, i thought she was joking. Apparently not. So we're doing a duet for her wedding which is in 2 weeks. Exciting!

We're singing "Endless Love" by Luther Van Dross and Mariah Carey. Yea, tough song.
So we met up to practice last week and the noona says that she has a friend that is a voice coach and is willing to help us out. AWESOME!!!

I think singing is one of my passions that I often think, i could enjoy spending my life doing. This is supported by people who have told me, i have a good voice. Honestly i thought everyone was just being nice. Well, we met with this person, her name is Lauren, japanese, excellent english, great voice! We met for 2 hours. At first we sang the song, so she could hear what she's dealing with. heh heh, i was kinda nervous. The first hour, we just warmed up, something ive never ever done in my life. It was... enlightening. We would do scales and some breathing exercises. Then we practiced the songs. Along the way she made some comments about both our voices. To me, "Phil, you have a beautiful tenor voice. and have pretty good range!" "When you sing, i can tell you have a lot of confidence." I thought COOOL!!!! Thinking of when i actually started singing, you couldnt hear my voice even on a mic! And then she suggested things i could work on! This i really wanted to know! " Phil, sometimes you have trouble hold a note and sometimes go flat, but its not too much where you can notice it. " "also when singing these type of songs, try to not pronouce the R's. They stick out like a sore thumb. Also pronouce your T's and make your S's short. Try to sound british. Like "Heart" would be "Haart"

In all it was a really enlightening experience. If you count all the exclamation points in the post i think you can tell how excited i was. :) Afterward she was talking to me and said if i ever wanted professional help, i think you could go very far! HEE :D

not that i will, but it's good to know hahaha. Hopefully i could record our performance and post it up online. I hope i dont mess up!

- Fill Out!

2 comments:

PJS said...

hey man. this is great.

can't wait to extract some tips out of you - drop some panties at the wedding

Fill said...

haha, thanks! and i will!

Post a Comment